Monday, April 2, 2018

Embrace Imperfection Canvas with Cathy Potosky

We are excited to welcome Cathy Potosky to our Guest Design Team. Cathy is up on the blog today sharing a beautiful Embrace Imperfection Canvas, that's sure to inspire you. Sit back and relax and learn all about how she created her first project for us!


Happy April Everyone. Cathy here with my first project for Southern Ridge Trading Company and I'm so honoured to be here.

So lets get started! I saw the Queen of Hearts Window and had to have it and had an idea already brewing. But, as it happens, a completely different idea came to be! I love there are two parts to this window and I did use it as separate parts for this one.

On the solid panel I layered a piece of TH Etcetera Paper, inked the edges with Walnut Stain Distress and adhered with collage medium.


For the window pane itself I embossed it in Patina Oxide, one of the new Baked Texture Powders from Emerald Creek.


I found an old book page in my stash, cut it down to size and embossed the piece with Baked Texture Vintage Beeswax, while it was still hot I threw on some Patina Oxide. I adhered this to the window pane piece with Glossy Accents.


While I let my window pieces dry completely, I prepped my 6X6 canvas board. I used another page of TH Etcetera paper cut to 5 3/4 X 5 3/4 and once glued down, I edged the board with Baked Textrue Dirty Sand.


I then moved on to my smaller pieces that I wanted to include. I have a butterfly, leafy branch and a Demask corner.

I embossed the Demask corner with the Patina Oxide as well and my leafy branch was done with patina Oxide for the leaves and Burnt Copper Leaves for the branch part.




Yes I do love embossing...a lot!! But for my butterfly I wanted a bit of shimmer so I just used my fingers and rubbed on some of the Finnabair Waxes in Lucky Emerald, Amethyst Magic and Ages Brass. And this chipboard takes this wax so wonderfully!


And here is the completed canvas! I added the demask corner and leafy branch first, then layered my first panel next and the window pane last. I added a TH word band and a saying from the TH Chit chat booklet.


Here are a few close ups of the finished elements!








Southern Ridge Trading Company Products Used:


Other Supplies Used:

- Emerald Creek Craft Supplies/Seth Apter: Baked Texture Patina Oxide, Baked Texture Vintage Beeswax and Baked Texture Dirty Sand
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Etcetera Paper
- Tim Holtz for Ranger Ink: Walnut Stain Distress Ink and Distress Collage Medium
- Ranger Ink: Glossy Accents
- Prima Marketing: Finnabair Metallique Wax in Aged Brass, Amethyst Magic and Lucky Emerald
- Be Creative Tape

Thanks for having a look and have a wonderful week!

- Cathy









1 comment:

  1. This is a very beautiful piece, I like how you used both window pieces separately. All those embossing powders look so lovely on the chipboard pieces! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete